RED DAY is FINALLY here!
"RED Day (Renew, Energize and Donate) is an initiative dedicated to celebrating Keller Williams Realty’s year-round commitment to improving our local communities. Each year, on the second Thursday in May, tens of thousands of associates from across the United States and Canada participate in a wide range of projects, devoting their time to renewing and energizing aspects of the neighborhoods in which they serve." Red Day Info
KW Fort Myers & the Islands selected to serve our Red Day with the Boys & Girls Club of Lee County in Lehigh Acres. "Lee County and its children need Boys & Girls Clubs to succeed as never before. The perilous state of our youth can be clearly determined through several fundamental statistics:
- Lee County has nearly 25,000 children under the age of 18 living in poverty.
- Children represent about 23% of the total population but about 32% of people in poverty.
- 25,700 children and youth in Lee County are without supervision between the hours of 3 and 6 p.m. (20% of all school-age children).
- In an era where an education is required for access to employment and economic self-sufficiency, 1 in 5 kids won’t graduate high school.
- Nearly two-thirds of fourth graders lack reading proficiency and more than half lack math proficiency.
- Similarly, some 2 out of 3 eighth graders lack reading proficiency and the foundational skills needed to succeed in higher-order math courses in high school.
- Large achievement gaps persist between white and African-American, Hispanic and American Indian/Alaska Native students.
- Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years. In 2012, about a third of children and adolescents ages 2 to 19 were overweight or obese. "
- Please visit Boys & Girls Club of Lee County for volunteer opportunities & donating resources.
We had an amazing day of service & camaraderie.
Our first order of business was to work with the staff to remove, clean, & organize the furnishings, books, desks, chairs, computers, toys.
As that was being accomplished, the interior crew began cleaning & scrubbing the walls for a fresh coat of paint.
Onto landscaping where the hedges were trimmed, leaves raked, & new mulch was added back to the flower beds.
We felt truly rewarded to share this experience together & we're eager to see the children's faces as they re-enter the building for the first time!