When it comes to selling a home there are things you can do to make your home more appealing to potential buyers. This list is very comprehensive and you may or may not have the time or budget to complete all of these items. Knowledge is power, so our intent with this column is to share our experience so you can have a successful real estate transaction.
First we will deal with the outside of the home, often referred to as “curb appeal”.
- Give the entry to your home a face-lift, consider a fresh coat of paint or a new entry door.
- Be sure your outside lights are working and replace any bulbs that are burned out.
- Landscape your yard, trim trees and bushes; this shows buyers the home has been taken care of.
- Wash the windows, both inside and out.
- Clean out your garage. Remove any non -essential items, while the home is on the market.
- Consider adding some color by planting flowers to the landscape or adding planters by the entry to the home.
- Remove lawn ornaments.
- Power-wash the exterior surfaces.
- If the welcome mat is worn out replace it
- Paint or replace the numbers on the house making it more visible.
No that we have generated interest in your home, we will share tips that will help the home sell in a shorter period of time and for more money.
- Clean everything! Everybody loves a clean home.
- Let the light in. Bright rooms feel warm and inviting.
- Fix anything that is broken. Buyers will offer less if they get the impression that the home was not well maintained.
- Give every room a purpose. Create an identity for each room.
- Unclutter the home. The saying, “less is more” is certainly true in real estate when it comes to staging a home for sale.
- Fresh paint and new carpet. This is especially important if there have been pets or smokers living in the home.
- Organize the kitchen and remove items from the countertops.
- Replace light bulbs.
- Make sure all doors open and close easily, fix any squeaks on closet or bedroom doors.
- Before the home is shown, be sure to empty all trash bins and hide any laundry.
We recognize that often sellers are limited by the amount of time they have to prepare a home for sale. We are happy to meet with you personally, make recommendations on what should be done, and assist with vendors to assist you. Whether you are looking to buy or sell real estate in Southwest Florida we are full of “TIPS” to make your real estate transaction a smooth one!